Saturday, July 07, 2007

When Media Conglomerates Steal

Front page of WIRED News

Yesterday I had a story published on WIRED News about a group of calligraphers in Chennai who are writing the last handwritten newspaper in the world. This morning I wanted to see how people were reacting to the story and checked Google to see how many people had linked to it. The story seemed to be well received. However, that was not all that I found. It turned out that so many people liked it that ABC News decided to publish the story for themselves and throw their copywrite logo underneath it to say they owned it. They retitled it, edited it lightly and threw a photo from Reuters on top of it. They even used my byline to make it look like they commissioned the piece.
The story on ABC's website

Now for those of you not steeped in media politics, freelance writers like myself make our living by selling stories to media outlets and we get paid in return for our work. We are usually allowed to resell a story after a certain amount of time to make a little more money for our labor. Still, most freelance writers barely scrape together a living, but do it out of love for the job. So when I found out that one of the largest media conglomerates in the world had decided to publish my writing without seeking my permission first (or offering to buy it) I sent a note out to them to see what was going on.

This is just one of many ways that big media companies try to take advantage of the people who actually produce the content that they depend on. ABC doesn't have a correspondent in Chennai, it wouldn't be practical for them to afford one, so when a story comes up that they want to print, it would seem fair that they would at least have the decency to support the people who write.

No response from them yet. More to come.

UPDATE: Following a reader's comment I've added a Digg button below if you want to spread the word about what ABC is up to.

Digg my article

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At July 07, 2007 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is preposterous. I can't believe a reputed media conglomerate would stoop this low. Maybe we should just digg this story and let the whole world know a thing or two about the tactics these individuals use to make a buck on someone else's expense

 
At July 07, 2007 1:34 PM, Blogger Restless said...

i have a faint idea about how hard it must be for you.

i have signed up on digg just so i could vote ur story up.

 
At July 08, 2007 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott, did a digg. I hope abc news responds.

 
At July 08, 2007 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, stealing original content is common in internet. atleast you have some folks to recognize you. think about unfamiliar bloggers. my blog posts were copied and can you believe that google even ranked them :)

 
At July 08, 2007 10:37 PM, Blogger VikramAdith said...

Dugged!

Man, I am really stunned APC coculd do such a thing.

 
At July 09, 2007 5:42 PM, Blogger 100hands said...

I am Premjit Ramachandran, a musician, filmmaker based in London.
I stumbled upon your blog from a link on design observer about "The Musalman". Your thoughts are very inspiring and I was wondering if I could have a chat with you about an idea that sprung from your post. I would like to do a documentary on these special people. I think we could create something very rewarding. Please let me know if you are interested. My email is premjit.r@gmail.com
Have a look at some of my work and let me know if this interests you. It could be a lovely project with great music and spellbinding images.
All my stuff is on www.virb.com/ifdotdotdot
Let me have your thoughts.
Prem

 

Post a Comment

<< Home