Friday, May 18, 2007

Passports, Phone Bills and Bureaucrats

For almost ten years I've marveled at the pleasant ideosyncraces of India's bureaucracy, but it wasn't until today that I finally realized that I will never truly penetrate very far into the government mindset. This morning Padma, her mother and I went to our local Hyundai dealership to purchase our first car in India, laid down a cash for the down payment and set up a plan for picking it up in the next few days. Everything seemed in order until the dealer told us to fill out a set of forms that would allow us to register the car in our names. This shouldn't have been a problem. We've registered several motorcycles in the country, have a valid lease, photos, and resident status, but the dealer balked when we proposed to use our government issued Person of Indian Origin (PIO) cards as proof of identity.

The PIO card is the Indian equivalent of an American green card and gives the bearer the same basic rights as a citizen minus voting privledges and the ability to acquire vast tracks of farmland. It looks just like a passport and allows us to come and go from the country as we please. I qualify as a PIO because of my wife, which is sort of funny, but another story entirely.

The dealer looked at our cards and said that it didn't prove our identity and demanded that we produce something a little more authentic. Did we have a ration card? No. How about an Indian driver's license with our local address on it? No. We suggested that we show our lease to prove our address. That wouldn't work either.

"Well, how about a phone bill?", he asked.

Yes, that's right. He asked if we had a phone bill after rejecting our passports and apartment lease as valid identification.

Padma fished through a a sheif of papers and produced a slightly over-due phone bill from AirTel. The dealer smiled, clapped his hands, and said that this would prove who we were nicely.

At this moment I wish there had been a camera on me because I'm sure that my jaw dropped.

In order to get a Person of Indian Origin card person needs to fly to an Indian consulate in another nation, produce thirty different documents attesting to Indian heritage, a dozen passport sized photographs and an Interpol security check. To hook up a land line phone all you have to do is show up at an AirTel office with a passport sized photo, and an address where you want to connect the phone service.

While in theory the AirTel bill does say who we are, it is by no means as rigorous a form of identification as a triple checked ID issued at an Indian consulate. Nor is it as obvious a proof of residence as an active rental agreement. Yet the dealer insisted that the Regional Transportation Office (RTO) wouldn't accept our government issued documents, and would rather rely on a telephone company to verify identity.

While this works out for us perfectly well, we will have the car by the middle of next week, this experience shows me that there is something deeply wrong with the way the Indian government chooses to track it's population. Since when should private carriers bear the burden of censusing the population? Shouldn't the government accept it's own IDs? If the document is good enough to let you in and out of the country, shouldn't it be enough to register a car?

Labels:

10 Comments:

At May 18, 2007 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Surreal anecdote, Carney.

All I can muster is -
More than religion or politically motivated persecution, dealing with the Indian babudom should take precedence as grounds for asylum seekers in the west.

 
At May 19, 2007 1:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dealer probably has no clue about PIO cards. Aren't they fairly recent ? Sometimes people are comfortable with what's familiar, which is why he asked for a ration card. I remember once when I was in upstate NY, the only form of ID I had on me was my greencard and I couldn't buy beer from the local supermarket. The manager would not accept it as a valid id. He wasn't used to seeing it.

 
At May 20, 2007 9:18 AM, Blogger sandeepmoonka said...

This is something not unbelievable here.Hyundai is still a private organization, worst is when you have to interact with govt or semi-govt organizations.

But not all is gloomy, RTI(Right to Information)has been enacted in India and now a conscious citizen can get them to books.

 
At May 22, 2007 6:47 AM, Blogger Hassan said...

I have personally witnessed and been through these kind of incidents (though I am an Indian citizen) and I could never really see it from this point of you. Thats differentiates you and me Scott. You are too good. :)

 
At June 04, 2007 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was the same for me to get a bank account in England. To open a bank account they want a proof of residence but to sign a contract with a landlord you need a bank account!

Finally my friend had to give his Indian bank account passbook and they accepted it for opening a bank account.

 
At June 10, 2007 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott,

I am googling to find out if a PIO card holder needs an Indian driving license and found your blog. I am PIO with Canadian citizenship with a Canadian driving license but no Indian driving license. Would I need to get a driving license in India? What's your experience? You don't seem to have one and you are buying a car. Were you told by someone that you wouldn't need a license?

Thanks in advance,
CK.

 
At June 10, 2007 6:53 PM, Blogger Scott Carney said...

I'm an American so I can't speak with certainty on your situation, but as far as I know the US license is an international driving license. I've used it all over the place with not questions asked.

As for the need of a drivers license--any time you need to use it you are probably interacting with police officers. I doubt they know the international laws more than you do so just speak in English and they won't bother you. Anyway, from what I can tell of the habits of other drivers on the road here, no one follows the laws anyway, how important can a license be?

**There is one exception** a couple years ago I ran into a French man who was driving on an expired motorcycle license when he hit a pedestrian. The pedestrian died in the accident. The story I heard at the time was that under Indian law if you kill someone in an accident when you have a license the court fees usually run around 1500 rupees (which is, I admit, stupid). But if you do not have a valid license you can be charged with murder.

The french guy paid a judge two lakh to get off. I don't think the pedestrian's family got anything.

Afterwards the french guy left the country and I don't think he has come back.

That's all I have to say on that matter.

 
At June 11, 2007 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott,

Thanks for your response. As far as I know, Canadian license is valid in US and I wouldn't think twice before driving anywhere in the Western world.

But I am not sure about India. I need to think about it because for any police man on the road, I look very much like an Indian and I don't carry my Canadian passport with me always to prove my citizenship. I can carry my Canadian driving license, but I am not sure if I can convince the guy on the road.

I think I will try to get an Indian license if possible. I need to face the same hassles as you faced in buying a car. To get a license, I need to prove my address here and I don't have one yet. Probably I will open a bank account. I was told that they would accept it to prove my residential status.

Thanks again,
CK.

 
At June 17, 2007 11:20 AM, Blogger Govar said...

I think the Hyundai guys just have a valid documents and list and PIO doesn't figure in there simply coz there are not many people who actually use that. I can't quite equate this to Indian bureaucracy since it's far worse. Car dealerships are private enterprises and they try to service you to sell the product. The real bureaucracy can be seen in one of the Govt. office - electricity bills, house bills, water bills etc. They kill you.

Btw, which car?

 
At August 09, 2007 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is far late but I only stumbled across your very interesting website today.

Take comfort that the expatriate experience for Americans in France is very similar - and telephone or utility bills, even expired and eminently fakeable, are considered proof of residence in a way that a national ID card might not - one tends to get one card for ten years and not change the address on it each time one moves. This way of establishing ID and residence is really indefensible, but it's not restricted to India. I suppose it will not change until identity theft becomes a more visible problem in these countries.

Oh yes, once my French (dual citizen) passport was refused to get on an Easyjet plane from Toulouse to Paris. "Don't you have your ID card?" Arrgh! Enjoy your car!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home