Friday, April 20, 2007

The Smoking Gun: Documenting the Kidney Trade


Yesterday I headed out into the field with my assistant Priya looking for hard evidence of the organ trade. Over the last several months I've interviewed dozens of people who have sold their kidneys through brokers at the city's best hospitals and yet the police have continued to do everything they can to not prosecute the case. They say that the 1994 transplantation of human organs act does not empower them to arrest kidney brokers or shut down hospitals. I've written on this problem in the past. As usual, the authorities that be will try anything they can not to uphold the law. More on this later.

In our search of two different slum areas Priya and I uncovered documents signed by doctors at Devaki hospital demonstrating that they preformed illegal surgeries. The documents, her health records, show that she used a forged name as well as the dates of the operation, attendants involved in the surgery, lab techs, drawings of her kidney and signatures from both doctors and hospital administrators. In other words, I have the smoking gun.

On the same trip I located the address of a broker living in a northern stretch of the city who lives in a mini-palace and everyone seemed to know who he was. When I asked a local coolie about him I got this reply "Everyone knows him. On this street, all the houses are his." This leads me to reconsider my assumption for earlier that brokers tend to be poor themselves and are taken advantage of by people higher up on the chain of corruption.

Does anyone care?

Probably not. I went to the police later in the day and told them what I had found and asked them to release some information to me about three brokers they had arrested two months ago. In most countries on earth (including Pakistan which has the same basic legal system) First Information Reports, or FIRs, are available to anyone who asks for them. The reports contain names and addresses of the people arrested as well as the charges they have been brought up on. It is important that these documents are open to the public or the police could arrest anyone they want to and no one would be able to find out about it. When I went the the police station four different officers said they were not obligated to release the FIR to me. Other journalists get FIRs with no problem. Obviously this is one of the prices I pay for being a foreign journalist.

Later when I was speaking to K. Thukkaiandi, IPS who is the Inspector General of Police, Crime he just shook his head and said point blank "I will not give a report to a foreign journalist." I pressed my case and said I had new information about criminal activity involving the kidney racket.

"We are not interested in prosecuting that case," he said sternly.

While that is fairly obvious by the way that the police and the corresponding departments in the ministry of health have handled the case so far, I was happy that he gave me at least one transparent piece of information.

I left the station without an FIR, but I have since retained a lawyer and am pressing the issue through the courts.

As for the broker, I will have more information soon.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At April 20, 2007 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

these thugs in uniform will never give you the information...maybe you can use your assistant 'priya' to apply for the information under the 'freedom of information' act.
Good work on exposing these crooks! keep it up! It's a shame that the local journos don't care or too frightened to tackle this mafia,but be sure to keep the US embassy on your speed dial!

 
At May 26, 2007 11:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,

Channai stands to be one of the biggest market for "Illegal Trade in Human Organ" today. Now the trade in Kidney has increased more and instead of Local Police, CB CID is handling this matter seriously.

I would like to report FIR regarding one such Kidney Broker who has been involved intensly in Kidney Trade since past 5 years. But I don't know where to go; I feel Police & CB CID are not much interested in my Report.


The Kidney Donors from Nepal are transportad via Siliguri, WB, NJP Train Station.

Please post your comments. Should you require further details, please do mail me back.

Regards,
badhal.pawan@gmail.com
Badhal

 

Post a Comment

<< Home