Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Writing on my Arm

When I was younger tattoos scared me because they were permanent. Sure it may look good now, but when I'm sitting in my rocking chair in my dotage perhaps I will have second thoughts. I watched as friends of mine back in the United States couldn't stop at one tattoo and steadily started marking up their bodies like grade school kids fill up note pads. What is the fun in being a human doodle?

In the last couple months, however, I began to change my mind. What if a tattoo was more than just a drawing, but meant something special? Padma has long advocated me marking up bodies and has a large tattoo that snakes up her back. The main problem was that I couldn't think of anything right.

And then I began thinking about an incident that happened to me about a year ago when a student of mine I was taking through India on an abroad program died while we were in Bihar. I was charged with bringing her body back to Delhi so she could be shipped back to the United States for burial. As many of you already know the three days I was stuck in Gaya preserving her body against decomposition and negotiating with police and consular officials were quite difficult. The only respite came from some very good friends who arrived in my hour of need. One of whom, Joel Lee, pretty much showed up out of thin air and spent the entire time by my side. At one point while we were sitting beside the student's coffin we started talking about a sufi saint in Delhi named Nizamuddin.

In the 14th century Nizamuddin was building a mosque in Delhi at the same time that the sultan Tugaluk was constructing a fortress on the south side of the city and the two were in constant competition for workers. Tughaluk was often out of the city waging wars and expanding the empire while Nizamuddin was expanding his spiritual practice. On one of Tugaluk's military excursions Nizamuddin took away all of Tugaluk's workers and set them to building his mosque. Eventually word reached the sultan as he was finishing a campaign in Bihar and he sent a message back to Delhi that said that he would "deal with" Nizamuddin when he returned. This of course meant that Nizamuddin's days were numbered. But when Nizamuddin heard of Tugaluk's plan he was not concerned. Instead he sent Tugaluk a one line note in Urdu that read "Hanoz Dilli Dur Ast" or, "Delhi is still far."--meaning that Tugaluk had to be in Delhi to exercise his powers. Tughaluk headed back to Delhi while riding on a war elephant and had started to set plans in action to kill Nizamuddin. However, when he was only a day's ride outside the city his elephant was crossing over a bridge which gave way under the animal's weight. Both Tugaluk and the elephant perished and Nizamuddin was safe.

I have heard dozens of different versions of this story recited over the years but this one has always stuck with me. At the time we were in Bihar sorting out my student's remains the saying seemed to take on yet another meaning--we were headed to Delhi but had been unable to get there---Delhi was still far away. I am told that in Delhi the saying is often repeated as meaning "You don't know as much as you think you do."

I started dreaming about getting the line tattooed on my arm a few week ago. I knew that I had to get it done after I found myself wandering through the Muslim area of the city and came across one of the last communities of professional Urdu calligraphers who were running the only hand-written newspaper in the world. These were the people who would design it for me.

I asked them to write out several versions of the saying (and triple checking for spelling since I don't read Urdu) I went to a very posh tattoo parlor in Chennai called Irezumi. A woman in a salwar kamiz named Nisha tattooed it on my forearm. She had never gotten a tattoo of her own, but stencils on about 20 permanent markings onto people every week. She says she likes drawing. I think she did a pretty good job.

At first it was difficult for me to get used to the writing on my arm. The night after I had it done I woke my wife up at three in the morning and thought I had made a horrible mistake. It was my inner conservatism coming to the surface. I searched out different tattoo removal companies in India and discovered that it is pretty easy and cheap in Bangalore. Could I get it removed the next morning, I thought.

But since then I have grown into it a bit. It is healing well and I am really starting to enjoy it. I'm not so worried about being marked. The script and the story behind it means something to me. I might have to worry about airport security in the future, but I will always remember that Delhi is still far away.

Labels:

26 Comments:

At March 13, 2007 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so you don't plan to enter the USA then with that tattoo? :)

So, the cop there is to believe that it's a philosophical saying rather than a coded signal for a bomb?

Scott: Asking for the full body cavity everytime he enters the USA.

BTW, you realise you can never donate blood with a tattoo? Check that with the Red Cross.

shanks

 
At March 13, 2007 8:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At March 13, 2007 8:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I don't ordinarily comment on Scott's blog, but I have to respond to Shank's remark about blood donation. According to the American Red Cross, you have to wait a full twelve months after getting a tattoo before donating blood. Nowhere does it say "you can never give blood again".

 
At March 14, 2007 12:08 AM, Blogger Linda-Sama said...

very cool. tattoos are nothing unless they have meaning to you. you can read this about Indian women seeing my tattoos...http://lindasyoga.blogspot.com/2007/01/be-free-be-free.html. also agree that it's not true that you can never give blood after getting a tattoo.

 
At March 14, 2007 2:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carrying the words uttered by a mystic on your arm - how poetic!

farrukh

 
At March 14, 2007 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stand corrected then; I thought one was permanently barred from donating blood.

shanks

 
At March 15, 2007 4:13 AM, Blogger dazedandconfused said...

didnt know the tughlaq story...and a nice tatoo

 
At March 19, 2007 4:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

queer

 
At September 14, 2007 1:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

personaly i love it, i have my sons name written in arabic on my wrist i people / police often look me up and down because of it.
however for me its worth it ,

tana

 
At December 09, 2007 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow that looks beautiful.

 
At January 29, 2008 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hai,
nice write up...thanks ...Nisha.

 
At March 26, 2008 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dude...hope this dont burst your bubble or anything but thats actually persian farsi (the language spoken in iran) not urdu. Its still an awesome tattoo though!

 
At March 26, 2008 9:12 AM, Blogger Scott Carney said...

reg: Persian Farsi versus Urdu

I thought about that very issue quite a bit before I got the tattoo. At the time Nizamuddin said this sentence the language in Delhi was mostly urdu, but an older version of it that tracked closely to farsi. The language of the aristocracy was farsi which is the language that Nizamuddin wrote his famous sentence in. I wanted it to be exactly what he wrote, not the modern day Urdu equivalent which is "Dilli Dur Hai"

However there is still some question in my mind as to if this is the exact right script to use. The calligrapher included the vowels, which may not have been totally accurate. Still, it's close enough for me.

Bubble = not burst.

 
At March 27, 2008 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool, im glad you knew that already :) the vowels arnt really included in that because with this script vowels dont really exist. They have "long and short vowels" but short vowels are not written at all, its just implied and the only way you know how to prounounce it is if you know what the word is already. For example in the word..hanoz (meaning still or yet)there is no letter in there saying there is an A sound between the H and the N. but the long vowels are actually written as letters in the form of vav which makes the oo sound, yay which is an ee sound and aleph which is the aa sound. so in hanoz the vowel is written in because it is a long vowel. Hope that makes sense, lol sorry to write this much...i guess i just love talking about farsi :) x

 
At April 27, 2008 10:39 PM, Blogger amol said...

I was going through the exact same doubts about getting a tattoo, and your reasoning has reinforced my own. good luck with everything, thanks for your help

 
At May 15, 2008 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello scott, I've been thinking of getting a tattoo in farsi and I was wondering if people/ police actually do give you a hard time cuz of your tattoo...

 
At May 15, 2008 6:29 PM, Blogger Scott Carney said...

I think the only real problem with is is that every time someone sees it they ask me what it says. It gets a little annoying to always explain its meaning over and over again.

 
At May 17, 2008 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea... I guess it gets annoying after a while... maybe you should get the english version of it on your other arm! haha jus a joke :) ;)

I like your tattoo, specially knowing that it means something to you and its not just a random tattoo! I cant wait to get mine,

 
At July 01, 2008 1:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi i just wanted to know if anyone knew how to write 'Dholah' in any foreign langauge.

Please get back to me.

Thanks,
Melissa.

 
At July 01, 2008 7:14 AM, Blogger Scott Carney said...

In French it would be "Dholah". Also in German, Spanish and Italian.

 
At August 07, 2008 6:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is an amazing story, and you should never regret your tattoo =)

 
At November 30, 2008 2:24 PM, Blogger Maheen said...

The writing is completely correct. Urdu and Farsi are the same script =)

And it is a wonderful tattoo...I myself have one in Farsi

 
At December 12, 2008 9:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

thought inspiring story. and the tattoo is nice too. as others have commented, the spelling and the letters are all correct. it makes complete sense :) no need to regret it.

good luck with any other future tattoos. i would love to get a tattoo one day to

 
At March 07, 2009 8:06 AM, Blogger Sabina E. said...

beautiful tattoooo!!!!!!!! golly, i'm jealous lol

 
At March 21, 2009 4:24 AM, Blogger Um Dayo said...

I loved this story so much. I too lived in India for a time (Kolkata, though), and I too walked away with so many stories, so much marked on my heart. I had been thinking of getting a tattoo to commemorate my time there, but I too was afraid it may not look good when I'm 90. ha ha ha. However, after a year or so of contemplating, I decided to get the ink, on my left forearm, a large Ohm with decorative mehndi designs. It reminds me of the truth I learned in India: There is beauty in everything, everywhere. You need only look.

But, alas..I too woke up the next morning feeling it was a horrible mistake. I hope I will grow into mine as you have into yours.

 
At September 06, 2009 11:42 PM, Blogger simosha said...

I stumbled on this note will searching for Urdu tattoos and loved it. Its a beautiful story, and resonates well with all the thoughts I went through, when I got my first tattoo a few years ago. I wanted something that meant something and would take me back to a place I would never want to forget.

For my 2nd tattoo, I've been wanting to something in Urdu - I would so appreciate it if you would email me the name of the calligraphers who wrote yours out for you? I live in San Francisco but visit India often.

Thank you.

Seema (simosha@gmail.com)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home