Friday, October 20, 2006

The Wine Underground

There are wine shops on just about every street corner in Chennai, and yet it is still nearly impossible to buy wine. The word "wine" in India is a stand in any liquor except actual wine distilled from actual grapes. There are a couple vineyards in India, but they still haven't perfected the process and most of it tastes like bitter mouthwash. The only way to get imported wine is through the embassy commissaries (that I don't have access to) or through the black market--which I desperately am trying to contact. I had my first bit of success last night.

The story begins three weeks ago when I was browsing the isles of an upscale food emporium in Kilpauk. As I perused jars of olives and an assortment of pastas, I saw a row of wine bottles tucked away on a top shelf. I pulled one down and examined the label. I frowned when I discovered that it was non-alcoholic. Who would want boozeless wine, anyway?

"It's illegal for me to sell real wine," said the bored looking clerk when he saw me fingering his stash. Then he made sure the store was empty and beckoning me to the counter. "But I might know of a single bottle on the other side of town that I could arrange for you," he said conspiratorially.

"Really?" I asked, "What is it?"

"It's wine. If you want it it's 750 a bottle." 750 rupees comes out to about $17, so it isn't an entirely unreasonable price for good wine. The only problem was that I didn't know anything about the brand, and the clerk certainly wasn't a sommelier.

He told me he would order the bottle and save it for me until the next time I came back. I nodded and promptly forgot about the exchange.

Three weeks later I made my next grocery run.

When I walked in the door there was a flurry of excitement as the staff was busily cleaning the store for Diwali. The clerk spotted me and jumped to his feet. "It's you! We finally got that shipment of Schweppes tonic water you were looking for," He shouted while winking at me.

I had forgotten about my previous order and looked at him blankly. "Thanks," I said non-comprehendingly as I went to the back of the store in search of their fantastic new spritzer. I didn't find any and instead picked up a jar of sun-dried tomatoes.

At the counter the clerk smiled at me and asked if I wanted to see his new seltzer. When I nodded he riffled through a pile of papers under the counter and emerged with a small wine-bottle shaped parcel wrapped in a plastic bag.

"Here it is," he said proudly. And I opened the package and found a stately bottle of Albert Bichot table wine. I'd never heard of it, but figured it was my only chance for wine. I plunked down my VISA card and it appeared on my bill as a baby carriage.

So now I have a bottle of French wine sitting on my desk. The only problem now is that I don't have a corkscrew. I wonder where I can find one in Chennai. The question remains whether or not I can go back to the same shop and pull off a similar feat.

I have to say I sort of enjoyed the process. It felt like I was the last member of the French resistance during the second world war with a single source for black market goods.

12 Comments:

At October 20, 2006 3:40 PM, Blogger blr bytes said...

Make like the wise and head 200 miles west-wards... To Bangalore of course.

It's like Alibaba's cave...

 
At October 20, 2006 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you have experienced the "french resistance", why not experience the much more exciting life of a prohibition era bootlegger, by making your own wine.

 
At October 20, 2006 10:20 PM, Blogger Villain said...

well i got a corkscrew for 10 rupees believe it or not... in saravana stores in ranganthan st, t.nagar.
and someone told me their is a restaruant bellagio`s in thiruvanmiyur serves wine.. and theres a couple of real crappy wines like golconda or soemthing.. but dont even try it..

and bangalore is the place if u have sauvignon blanc or merlot in your mind.

 
At October 21, 2006 5:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wine is for sissies
real men drink vodka

 
At October 21, 2006 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

100 yen shop wine?

Sam B

 
At October 21, 2006 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

er... corkscrew?

 
At October 26, 2006 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just a correction to villain's comment. The restaurant is Bella Ciao. Dunno about their pizza is good.

 
At October 28, 2006 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"wine is for sissies
real men drink vodka"

Oh! Shit! Have you ever been to a bar and seen what the sissies drink -they do GIN and Vodka

Real men don't drink they gulp ! He! He!

 
At October 29, 2006 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

chennai is a nice place with a cozy, active social scene. i loved my five years there.

wine can be bought at several of the hotels in town. i used to get them from the park hotel by gemini flyover. at nungambakkam high road. it is a great place to unwind- its a boutique hotel chain. lovely ambience too.

hope you have a pleasant stay. i regularly come by and enjoy your work, especially on wired. nice blog :) check mine out [badly needs attention now] at designstein.blogspot.com

 
At November 01, 2006 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wine isn't very common in Chennai, but I am pretty surprised that you can't find a place that will sell you wine legally.

I am surprised that the clerk actually billed you using their billing system. This would mean that the supermarket does this as routine. Curioser and curioser...

I've seen stacks of wine and every other spirit imaginable stacked to 40 cases high at the local Metro in Bangalore.

 
At November 09, 2006 4:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Wired dude.... this whole Al Capone stuff sounds rather fictional. My hometown is Delhi and while the wine selection at local bars/wine-shop in Delhi is not exactly california-like, (and the answer to "what kind" is usually just "red" or "white") I never had to resort shady back-alley deals to get wine. You probably need to find some local friends.

Chetan

 
At November 09, 2006 7:33 AM, Blogger Scott Carney said...

Chetan,

Delhi dur hai

 

Post a Comment

<< Home