Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Fewer Posts Means More Time for Writing

If you are one of my 50-odd regular readers you have probably noticed that I have been posting quite a bit less since I came back from Malaysia a few weeks ago. It is difficult for me to point to an exact reason for stepping back from daily updates on my life/opinions here in Chennai, but a lot of it comes down to the fact that putting together a post can tak anywhere from one to two hours (including internet browsing, procrastination and general mucking about) and I haven't always had that time available in my schedule. In the past couple weeks my editorial schedule really started heating up. I put the story about the rickshaw race to bed (due out in the January issue of Wired, I think), picked up another assignment about satellite tracking murderous elephants in bengal and finished off a feature for .Net about censorship in the Malaysian blogosphere.

As I look forward to the coming weeks I can see that my schedule is going to lighten up considerably and I have two choices before me. I can either start pitching new ideas to magazines and websites and continue on with my normal daily blogging, or I can begin writing the book I have been avoiding for the last couple years. Today I am beginning to map out chapters and, I hope, start getting serious about this larger project. If it works out, I will most likely do a lot less posting so that I can keep my focus on this project.

But then again, I have ditched book writing attempts before, so lets just wait and see what happens.

1 Comments:

At October 05, 2006 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When William Gibson first discovered blogging and took a first few steps, he posted his suspicions that the process of blogging would interfere with his ability to write books.

Several days later he posted that that was indeed the case and basically said "See you all when I'm done with my next book!"

If you're spending less time here to devote it to more long-term projects, that's great! I look forward to reading what you've written.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home