Monday, August 14, 2006

Indian Village Gets Webpage, Makes News

A rural outpost surrounded by rice paddies has a plan to expand its territory into cyberspace. In a report from Reuters Jonathan Allen states that even though the village of Hansdehar hasn't yet installed its first internet connection this move to publicize the names, occupations and other details of all 1,753 residents could provide new sources of revenue and help farmers sell their crops at a higher price. The website http://www.smartvillages.org does not yet appear to be online, or is suffering some server trouble after a flood of traffic logged on after the initial report.

Late last week I was corresponding with my editor at Wired about a story I have in the works when it occurred to me that as far as the American mainstream press is concerned, there are only a few types of stories about India that are newsworthy. Other than occasional political catastrophes, like an arms race between India and Pakistan, or the Tsunami, editors in the states look for two things.

The first set of stories could be summed up as, "Look at those poor Indians get screwed by rich people." This category includes slavery accounts, prostitution, the spread of AIDS, state orchestrated famine, poisoned soft drinks and other types of misery.

The second category reads, "Look at those Indians play with high tech stuff, how improbable!" Every time I read a story about outsourcing to Infosys or Wirpo, about call centers, the Indian space agency, online villages, or the new highway system, I can't stop thinking that the only reason people in the States are interested is because they still think this is an inscrutable and backward country that will never really make any significant strides into the modern world.

About a month ago, I sent a letter to an editor about doing a story on the Navy War Room Leak where spies allegedly used a woman as a honey trap to sneak out state secrets on pen drives. In my pitch I wrote, "It is a wonder that this story has never broken in America."

He replied, "[The story is] fun and salacious, but it hasn't broken here because no body gives a shit about India."

When I read his reply, I was sort of upset. I've spent a lot of time here, and it is difficult for me to think that most of the world still thinks of this country as completely backward and uninteresting. But he also had a point. The Navy War Room Leak story would be big news if it happened in a Western country--it has all the juicy elements it needs to make headlines--but it doesn't fall into the two categories that make India news. No one in the West wants to think that India's navy has secrets worth knowing, or that people here use technology because it is useful, not because it's novel.

In the end, while world-changing events happen in South Asia every day, all the West will hear are reports about villages buying their own web space.

4 Comments:

At August 14, 2006 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like it this way, for a couple of reasons

1) self inflicted surprise and subsequent re-ordering of their world view

2)right now, there are a couple of wankers in the G5 political establishment who aren't exactly sane. It pays to NOT engage with potential war criminals

3)Political expediency and statecraft should make it appear that others have the advantage in everything while in reality it's not. Sun Tzu all that; like 2 examples of ass whupping in the ME.

4) Personal schadenfruede. the vicarious feeling of getting 0wn3d!

shanks

 
At August 15, 2006 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know, Scott, and Indian Parrot. I certainly hear my fair share of stories about India from NPR, though, yes, in the last month they've focused on the Middle East, but with the events in Lebanon, Iran, and Iraq (mostly of US making) can you blame them?

What I like is that in the morning on my NPR channel, once "Morning Edition" is over, the BBC News Hour starts, and the Beeb gives great Indian coverage.

I think that the US is generally very self-centered. We engage in a ton of navel-gazing, but I'd like to think that it's changing as more Indians come to the US. Probably it's just my own increasing exposure to Indian media that makes the difference for me. The good thing is that as more people blog, and more news of interest, such as the naval secrets story gets picked up by bloggers, more people will spread the story virally.

 
At August 16, 2006 7:26 AM, Blogger Scott Carney said...

NPR is the best news source in the United States. Sure they cover India, but they are the only mainstream US publication that does so. And sadly, I do not do radio, so I can't easily publish there.

And parrot, don't Indians still travel on Elephants? I mean, not many of the, but I am sure I've seen it now and again.

 
At August 20, 2006 1:58 AM, Blogger Blogging Masterclass said...

I read that article, fascinating. I also took a moment to visit their website. How far is that village from where you are based?

Nice blog you have here. I just read about the cyclops baby, and was saddened to see the insensitive comments. Unfortunately, people show their nasty side online, hiding behind an alias. In person, if you took them to the hospital, I'm certain that gross disrespect would be softened to harsh reality, and they would in fact give way to tears.

I am fascinated with Indian culture, so I enjoy what you're doing. Where else do you write, other than this blog?

Holly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home