Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Update on the Cyclopian Child


Earlier this week I posted a story about the one eyed child born here in Chennai. I have spent the last day meeting with government officials, doctors and hospital administrators trying to dig up more information about her. Yesterday I went to the hospital where she was born (a few kilometers from my house) and was allowed to see the child and take photos. I have a second meeting in the coming two hours and will first publish my update on Wired News, probably tomorrow.

What I can say now is that the defect probably is not a hereditary condition and other than her single eye and lack of a nose she appears healthy. She also responds to stimuli and, like any other infant, cries when disturbed. According to the research I was able to cull off Google, it seems that she has lived longer than any other child with a similar condition.

Sorry for the distant photo, I am saving my close ups for another publication.

**UPDATE: For all of you people who come in from a link and don't have time to look around for updates on the girl's status click here for a more recent post.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home