Monday, July 24, 2006

Missing Passports and Ignorant Police

A few days ago I left my passport on my desk after consulting it for some information. Not thinking much of it I left it there and went about my daily routine, and then this afternoon I noticed it was missing. My wife and I spent the better part of three hours combing every nook and cranny of my apartment, but our search came up empty. Realizing that there was a chance that it would never turn up again, I drove down to the American embassy to report it missing.

After talking with the officer there she told me that I couldn't apply for a new passport without a police report and directed me towards the nearest police station. So begins the tale of my trips to seven different police stations--each time an officer directed me to another office. While I am pretty used to the ol' Indian bureaucratic rigmarole, I've never had been shuttled about quite so much as I was today. I went to Nungabakam, Annanagar, Roipetta, Kilpauk and Kilpauk-6, each time they said they couldn't issue me a report because, well, it just looked like they didn't want to.

Finally, in the police station closest to my home they had me hand write a report that was pretty much the first paragraph of this entry and then smiled and laughed at me.

"Passports don't just disappear, it had to be stolen," said K. Sridhar Babu, an officer with several stars adorning his shoulders. Then he said, "It must have been your Indian wife, if nobody else was in the house it had to be her."

Then he said something in Tamil that brought the rest of the attendant officers into a chortle.

Since the station is only a few blocks from my house they must have seen me driving around town occasionally with my wife on the back of my motorcycle. She is also an American, but of Indian descent.

But what does my wife have to do with my missing passport?

For the next twenty minutes I pleaded with them to stamp the handwritten report they asked me to write out, but they just shook their heads and told me to come back some other day. Then the all began to laugh at me again.

So now I am back here at home wondering what it takes to file a police report. Without it I have no way to apply for a new passport, and stand an outside chance of being deported.

Anyone with advice about where I should proceed to from here, I am all ears.


**** ADDENDUM 2 HOURS LATER*****

There was a solution after all. My wife has a few connections in the government and after a short series of phone calls they began to listen. The police actually called me and asked me to report to the local police station so they could process my report.

When I arrived the officers had not yet been informed, and starred at me in the same surly manner as before. The only sign of progress was that they ushered me to the "crime bureau" where I sat down in front of yet another man to explain my story.

He looked at me with dead eyes, yawned and said that I should come back in six days and maybe they would have time to talk to me then. As far as I could see the man had been simply biding his time in his office--not exactly in the middle of an important case.

But then my phone rang again, and the person on the other end said that a high-ranking officer was on his way. Apparently my wife's connection is pretty good. On hearing the name of the incoming officer, the man in front of me transformed. He brought me into yet another room and immediately began processing the report. All he had to do was photocopy and stamp the piece of paper I had written out long hand earlier that day, but hey, it is all I needed, anyway.

So why does it take so much effort just to file a report? Was it sheer laziness, or was it that they needed an outlet to express their authority?

If I didn't have connections would that mean I would have been out of luck? What about all the people in this world who actually need the police to...gasp...help them when they are in trouble. Would someone who was raped have to wait six days to file a report? Would a drunk driver not be charged until he had over a week to sober up? This incident just doesn't sit right with me.

9 Comments:

At July 26, 2006 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus that's awful! I just can't imagine how frustrating that would be. I have to grit my teeth when I spend 3 hours in line at the DMV getting papers processed.

I don't imagine how I would have handled what you were going through. You are a better man than I!

 
At July 27, 2006 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not surprised by whatever you had to go through. It is common knowledge for everyone who lived in India. There is another way out if you don't have connections. Bribe whoever is at the desk if he shows such an attitude and that will work too. Why do you think many Indians choose to live in the U.S? Ofcourse, for the comfortable way of life.

 
At July 27, 2006 1:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

man... thats awful... why didnt u take ur indian wife or someone who can speak the local language with u?

 
At July 27, 2006 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, a very interesting story!

 
At July 30, 2006 5:02 PM, Blogger Villain said...

simple thing.. take a 100 ruppee note and put it on the table or with the papers.. and look at how fast thigns get to happen...

i am from chennai and i will tell u this.. its disheartening to know its like that.. but that is the way it is.. atleast i am guessing u would be able to afford it.. think about the people who cant afford to bribe or get the connections right....

 
At August 01, 2006 11:22 AM, Blogger Santhosh said...

I'm very sorry that you have to go through the corrupt and loathsome Indian govt officials.

It's a shame that even in 21st century when all countries are galloping towards impvoring the quality of their citizen's life, India (by I mean Indian people) is stepping backwards. Bottom line, we are responsible for our own mess.

Even though you may not feel like, but when you are in such situations, just give away some bribe and get out of the way.

 
At August 07, 2006 5:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

 
At August 11, 2006 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

 
At March 30, 2009 10:26 PM, Blogger wishingonastar said...

I just read your post and same thing happened to me. I lost my passport, spent weeks searching for it. Went to my local police station to report it as missing, but according to the officer "nothing goes missing, i don't loose anything, i always find what i misplace, i can't take your report" its so stupid.Just because you never loose something, does not mean no one else can. No matter how many times I told him I honestly don't know where or how I lost it,and how my mind is blank on its whereabouts after a certain time, he refused to believe me. Then had the nerve to say I'm making up stories, because none of my stories matched up, because no matter how truthful you were being, he never wanted to believe you and refused to hand you a form to fill out. I finally had to tell him I think my ex took it because he didn't want me leaving the country to see another guy, and when I said that, he turned it around on me and was like "How do you KNOW your ex took it?" How does, I think which implies a thought, no evidence, go to you know which implies having hard evidence? Now, my ex is going to think I purposely set out to report it as he took it. I'm still very pissed off at the police. You walk in there thinking your being a honest citizen by reporting your stuff missing, instead they interogate you as if you are a criminal lying to them about your documents being missing. And have the nerve to tell you, that you can go to jail if you are found lying about missing government documents such as a passport.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home