Saturday, August 01, 2009

Goodbye Chennai and the American Victory Lap

It is hard to leave a city that you has become part of you, but after three and a half years in Chennai, my time time in India has drawn to a close. In July my wife and I packed up our apartment in Kilpauk and took a melancholy taxi ride to the airport to catch a flight back to the United States. When I arrived in India I didn't know much about what it meant to be a journalist in a foreign country, but I've had the opportunity to write some ambitious and thought provoking articles on a range of subjects (from skeleton traders, to the introduction of the world's cheapest car). I've seen some of the best and the worst things that happen in South Asia, and I feel lucky to have been a witness.

We decided to move back to the United States when my wife, Padma, was accepted into the masters program in Anthropology at Columbia University in New York. She has handed over the reigns of the Shakti Center to the capable hands of Aniruddh Vasudevan, her comrade in arms since the founding of the organization. On my part, I'm going to be pretty busy for the next year writing a book about the international trade in human body parts and will likely be back in India for short trips during my research.

But merely arriving back in America and getting back down to work would be a terrible tribute to mark the change. So we decided that most fitting way to readjust to our home was to take a well-deserved victory lap around the country, starting from my mother's house in Seattle, down to the Mexican border in San Diego, and then across the country through the deserts in the Southwest, the endless rough Texan terrain, to the ghostly remains of New Orleans, and up through Atlanta, Washington DC, and finally New York City.

Rather than give you a play by play of each stop, I thought I'd leave you with a few images of what we found on our American Odyssey. One thing is for sure: life's adventures will not end now that I'm back home. In fact, it looks like they might just be beginning.

Padma tries on cowbow boots in Austin, Texas.

I shot a Glock in Atlanta. I'm a much better shot than I had expected. Evildoers Beware!

Finding the high school Mascot of my dreams.

A 40 foot cactus in Arizona.

Padma invents a new sport: Katana Beerball.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At August 02, 2009 11:47 AM, Blogger Navaneethan Santhanam said...

Hi Scott,

We've never met, but I've really enjoyed reading your blog, especially the bits about Madras. I've also enjoyed your articles in Wired and Mother Jones, and I hope to read your book when it comes out.

It was extremely interesting for me, as a person who grew up in Madras, to see it from an entirely different perspective, and while that might sound a tad cliche, I think you did a fabulous job of bringing a fresh voice without the negative patronising attitude that foreigners sometimes have.

I live in Seattle now, and if you're ever visiting from the East Coast, I'd love to meet and perhaps chat about your experiences in Madras.

Good luck on your book!

Cheers,
Navaneethan

 
At August 02, 2009 6:14 PM, Blogger Scott Carney said...

Thanks for the kind words Navaneethan,

Funnily enough, I was just in Seattle. I have family there and will likely be back within the year. Nice place. Rainy.

s

 
At August 02, 2009 6:51 PM, Blogger sathish said...

Hi Scott,

I had been following your blog for a long time,as well as your articles in Wired.

It was a great ride in this blog and hope you enjoyed Chennai. Hope you continue to blog here.

Best of luck on your book. I will keep a lookout for it.

 
At September 16, 2009 9:59 PM, Blogger passionforthewrittenword said...

Hi Scott,

i was sorry to read that you have moved on to NY. Had hoped to meet you in person while I was in Chennia. I myself have moved to Mumbai on work.

Hope to see your work regularly in this space. Wishing you all the best for your new project.

Warm regards
Rajesh Madathil
Mumbai

 

Post a Comment

<< Home