Thursday, August 07, 2008

Want a Job in Journlaism? Try India

Today Salon is running an article contrasting the shriveling opportunities for journalists in the United States and the booming media market in India. Arun Venugopal writes, "2,400 journalists left newspaper newsrooms last year, either through layoffs or buyouts, leaving the industry with its smallest workforce since 1984." However, the market in India offers salaries as high as $180,000 and now a few American journalists are making the jump to India.

Arun contacted me early last week to get my opinion on the market for foreign journalists in India. Here's the section where I come up.

"I have met foreigners working at the Hindu, Mint, GQ, the Hindustan Times and Times of India," wrote Scott Carney, a Chennai-based journalist who freelances for NPR, Wired and National Geographic TV. "They all work on Indian salaries, don't speak the language, and all seem to be having a ball. Since there are so many new publications opening up in India, there is a lot of demand for native English speakers and people who can bring higher reporting standards to local papers."

Carney says he turns down two or three assignments a month.

"I pretty much stick only to big investigative stories on subjects that I choose, and leave the daily reporting and feature pieces to other journalists. I have noticed that some American media houses are pulling back their freelance budgets (just try getting an assignment past the foreign desk at NPR these days!). But I bet that freelancers in America are feeling the pinch much more than I am while living on the rupee."

"If anything," he wrote in his e-mail, "I'd like to see more freelancers move to India. There are too many stories to cover and just not enough time to get to them all."

Check out the rest of the story here.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At August 07, 2008 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where do I sign up?

Seriously, though I would have to say that budgets for freelance stories outside of the US seem to be shrinking unless it's from somewhere "sexy."

 
At August 07, 2008 5:31 PM, Blogger Scott Carney said...

You're in luck then Nicole. There are lots of sexy things in Italy.

 
At August 11, 2008 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...Unless you mean this sort of thing, I'm not sure I agree =)

http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct=us/0-0&fp=48a0d5c0048dbe10&ei=ZiegSJ_eA4bOwAH32M3QCw&url=http%3A//news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7542472.stm&cid=1233111681&usg=AFQjCNG3zCHQ5l6G7Kqh0sUnOPtGPVkiVg

 
At August 13, 2008 1:34 PM, Blogger Colin Todhunter said...

I came across this about an India-based journalist wanted to report on events in Pasadena:
http://blacksundae.shannonhubbell.com/?p=1209

Talk about outsourcing!

I'm from the UK but based in India (spent a lot of time in Chennai) and can identify with the Salon piece. I've been freelancing for a number of Indian newspapers for quite a few years (Deccan Herald and New Indian Express in particular) as you can see in the following link.

http://www.colintodhunter.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home