Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My Shower: Where Electricity and Water Really Shouldn't Mix

There is a glaring contradiction between the skyrocketing price of real estate in Chennai and abysmal quality of construction and infrastructure. We've had out share of problems with the state supplied electricity to our apartment--ranging from city-wide brown outs to meter men from the Electricity Board and telephone pole explosions right outside my window. But once you take a look at the wiring inside the apartment you finally get a real picture of how on the verge everything is to collapse.

Take a look at the construction of my shower. You can see in the picture above that the pipe that leads to the spout connects to a small hole in the concrete where there are three different circuit breakers. Inside the wall, the pipe splits into at least two different pipes, and I believe that the stains around the windows show that there is at least some leakage inside.

The circuit breakers were installed to power the electric water heater and also shunt power into my bedroom to power an air conditioner and my computer setup. The water heater isn't particularly energy efficient, I've noticed that when I keep it on, the electricity meter downstairs starts moving at three or four times its normal rate.

So now I have to wonder if the shower that I've been using for the last two years, is actually some sort of crude execution device simply biding its time until the inevitable. Lettering imprinted on one of the breakers says "15 AMPs 256 VOLTS". I wonder if that is enough to give me a gentle stimulating shock, or enough to fry me instantly into a tandoori kebab.

The thing is, I've seen setups like this in apartments across the country. A photographer friend of mine in Delhi had a small house fire when his water heater exploded during one of the humid months. Even brand new places keep electric circuits perilously close to the water supply. We've got roughly a year and a half to go living here in Chennai. Any bets on whether we make it out?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At March 11, 2008 12:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Scott, I have my doubts. For your sake, I do hope your shower can hold out for another year and a half before going berserk.

 
At March 11, 2008 11:37 PM, Blogger Heidi Mehltretter said...

When I lived in the Dominican Republic, we had this electric water heaters that were part of the shower heads. They are called "widow makers."

 
At March 17, 2008 5:58 PM, Blogger Nick said...

it's enough to fry you.

Such accidents can and do happen. I know one family who lost a daughter in an electrified shower.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home